SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (QUANTUM DOTS)
WHAT IS QUANTUM DOT (QD)?
It is the smallest measurable particle the discovery of which is an important seed in the field of nanotechnology.
- These are Semiconductor Nanocrystals composed of approx. 10-50 atoms.
Who received the Nobel Prize?
- Alexey Ivanovich Ekimov – Discovered the semiconductor nanocrystals known as quantum dots in 1981, while working at the Vavilov State Optical Institute.
- Moungi Gabriel Bawendi – chemical production of high-quality quantum dots, currently the Lester Wolfe Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Louis Eugene Brus – Co-discoverer of the colloidal semi-conductor nanocrystals known as quantum dots, working at S. L. Mitchell Professor of Chemistry at Columbia University.
Who decides the winner?
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
What is the meaning of quantum?- Amount, Quantity, Volume, Measure
Features of QDs
- Have a core-shell structure
- The most astonishing feature of QDs is that the same element or molecule will show varied properties depending upon their size: optical properties, conductivity, magnetism, cytotoxicity, photostability etc.
- Hence, a myriad of components can be formed from limited source with modulated properties.